About Me

My photo
We got married October 23, 2010 and our sweet baby boy was born July 2, 2012. We have been remodeling our "new" home since January 2010 and I have documented the entire process, and will continue to do so.

Monday, June 13, 2011

I have a house update!

Well kinda…

We had a feeling it would be coming soon, but not this summer. We were hoping to hold out for a few years but after having an 84 degree house for the past two weeks it is time to replace these puppies:

IMG_8424

IMG_8429

Anyone else still have one of these bad boys? Ours is 30+ years old, and was made right in our back yard. Well, a few blocks away at the old Singer plant.

IMG_8430

The downfall:the installation crew is so backed up, we won’t have our new AC and furnace installed for another TWO WEEKS! Good thing they are a nice company and haven given us a window unit to use until then.

IMG_8431

Yes that is cardboard and foil. The accordion sides were all ripped up and had duct tape hanging everywhere. So this is my way of making sure the cold air stays in, the hot air stays out, and all of Main Street doesn’t see what goes on inside our bedroom. But it works and our room is cold so I’m not complaining!

Needless to say we are looking forward to the new units!

On to the garden updates!

The watermelon, not too much action yet.

IMG_8408

The zucchini plants really took off once it got hot! I may have planted them too close together, but when you are planting them, they look so small. It is hard to image that they could get so big. As of right now there are about 20 zucchinis growing! Some have grown a few inches over the past day or so. LOVE zucchini!

IMG_8416

The longest:

IMG_8405

The fattest:

IMG_8406

The two cucumber plants:

IMG_8425

Quite a few little cucumbers sprouted over the last few days. The beginnings of a cucumber:

IMG_8407

Ahhhh the lettuce! Very close to harvesting. Probably could eat some now if I wanted but I want the leaves to get a little bigger. I will probably be eating salads for breakfast lunch and dinner here shortly! Next year, plant a foot of seed, wait a week, plant a foot of seed, wait a week, etc. Like I said this is an experiment and a learning experience.

IMG_8411

IMG_8412

Romaine close up:

IMG_8426

Salad mix close up:

IMG_8427

Beans, still growing:

IMG_8413

Pole beans growing all over each other. Next year, have a higher trellis!

IMG_8414

Peppers:

IMG_8415

There is about 4 banana peppers on one  of the plants.

IMG_8409

Jalapeños!!! I think there is only one so far.

IMG_8428

Potatoes, still growing, waiting on flowers.

IMG_8417

Cherry tomatoes grew like a weed the past few weeks!

IMG_8418

First cherry tomatoes! I can only find two so far.

IMG_8420

Regular tomatoes, much shorter than the cherry tomatoes and no fruit yet.

IMG_8422

And the acorn squash, yeah I thought I read somewhere that these were going to or would trellis… doesn’t look it yet. They are getting huge!

IMG_8421

Ok now I’m hungry! See ya!

6 comments:

  1. Awsome looking garden.....good for you! I would have killed everything by now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine PettijohnJune 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM

    I am super jealous. I cannot wait to have a garden next year. Yours is looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your garden. We planted some bell peppers and banana peppers in pots on our patio. Someday I will get to have a huge garden, although I think that will be many years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone! its a lot of work. hey its kind of like my kid! haha! ok probably not... but it does take a lot of care!

    ReplyDelete